Monday, February 14, 2011

Cameraless filmmaking thus far.

I guess I am starting to comprehend how long and tedious the process can be. Especially if you are trying to find a pattern or to structure the piece that you are working on. The one film we watched that was set to the jazz music must have taken ages, and also, required so much creativity to visualize the music on film. Its such a daunting task, but its not all bad. Actually, its pretty fun to work with your hands. Manipulating the film, through scratching, inking, magazine transfers, just gives you so many options and potential avenues to create your desired effect, that you can really go with any choice and feel that you have made the right one. The art does demand some foresight, especially when you are attempting to layer.

I really enjoyed our brief screening of the magazine transfers that we did. I was, of course, unsatisfied that we had to split it up due to the jamming of the projector. I was impressed with how everyones transfers were different, but somehow they all flowed together. I think if you put some music on that, it would really work as a short film. I noticed my pieces too. I had a golden watch in all of my strips, and a green and pink design behind it.

Today I begin working with the Rayograms, and I am looking forward to that certainly. Though I really want to try contact printing a la Roger Beebees tb tx. I love everything about this film. The sounds, the images, the contrast of black and white, the varying of visual information, and the dual screens. I need to learn the basics of photoshop though, I think that was the program he desinged it on. I've shown that film to some of my non 6x1 friends hoping that they will love it. I may try to do some this week if I can get a hold of a non school printer. I think contact printing would be awesome for special montage sequences or title sequences in narrative films.

No comments:

Post a Comment